The Forecast tonight is... Chilli!

15:08



Anyone that knows me will know that I am not much of a cook (which is quite odd because I love food). I like things that are quick and simple, require minimal effort and are, of course, tasty! As well as being a student and trying to finish assignments I am also trying to juggle a part time job which leaves little time to spend on prepping meals. I came across this chilli dish when I was living in student accommodation 2 years ago and thought I would put my own spin on things.



It is very quick and simple and only takes roughly 20-30 minutes to make. All you need is:

·         1 Sachet of Schwartz Chilli con Carne spices

·         1lb of mincemeat (Or Quorn    is what I use for handiness)

·         1 tin of chopped tomatoes

·         1 tin of kidney beans

·         Some chopped peppers (Optional)

·         125ml of cold water (When using Quorn sometimes you need to use a little more)

Firstly, I start by putting in the tin of chopped tomatoes and the tin of drained kidney beans. I let these simmer on gas mark 4 before adding in the full sachet of Schwartz spices. I use the sachet of spices rather than buying loads of different ones because at least I know I am putting in the correct amount and I can be confident each time I make it that it will have the same great taste!



The next step is to add the Quorn mince (If using mincemeat then browning the mince for 4-5 minutes will be the first step in the recipe then continuing on with the rest of the steps). It is my personal preference to use Quorn mince because I believe it is a healthier and handier way of making chilli. The Quorn mince only needs to be stirred into the sauce and takes a couple of minutes to cook.



The next step is optional but I like to throw in a few frozen peppers for added taste and also a bit of colour! You should now leave the chilli simmer and occasionally stir for 5 minutes so that it can soak up all the flavours. While this is happening you can prep your rice for serving. I use Uncle Ben’s 2 minute rice for speediness so all you have to do is pop it into the microwave.



Once the rice is done you are now ready to serve onto a plate and dig in!



With the leftover chilli I spoon roughly 4 portions into freezer bags and put them in the freezer for my meals throughout the week or whenever I fancy.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and Bon Appetite!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook